The Thanh Toan covered footbridge is located about 7 kilometers to the east of Hue in Thuy Thanh Commune, Huong Thuy district.
It is a multi- span structure crossing a river in a sleepy village near Hue.
The side spans with closer supports rise to the middle. The footbridge is quite wide and have timber seats on both sides for people to rest. Also, to one side was a small housing containing two elephants statutes and some offering flowers.
It was reportedly established during the reign of Emperor Le Hien Tong (1740-1786) and has been maintained by the village ever since.
Construction of the bridge was initiated by Tran Thi Dao, the wife of a high-ranking Mandarin in Le Hien Tong’s court. Tran, who came from this area, the bridge was constructed to better facilitate transportation and communication in the village that lines both sides of the canal.
When the Emperor heard of her charitable act, he exempted the village from taxation as a reminder for them to live up to her example. In 1925, Emperor Khai Dinh granted her a posthumous title and ordered the villagers to establish an altar on the bridge in her memory.
Recognizing the bridge’s historical value, the Cultural Ministry renovated the bridge in 1991.
Not sure whether motorcycles are allowed to use the footbridge. While we were there a motorcycle was parked at the entrance of the footbridge. There were quite a number of pedestrians and cyclists using the footbridge for crossing the river. Some people rest on the sides of the footbridge too.
On top of the footbridge ceiling, there was distinctly some forms of dragon ornate.
Inside the footbridge, it was a bit dark, but adopting a longer exposure, you can still see people enjoy walking along.
The bridge gives you a sort of tunneling effect at the ends which are quite colorful.
The surrounding was peaceful and the footbridge brands very well with the surrounding.
Altogether, it was an enjoyable trip. We are happy that we rented out a car to visit it.